This may sound funny as a topic, but when you have experienced the damage rat can cause to your home and the stress it can put on your family, you will understand how important this topic is. Rats are generally a problem wherever they go, and they exist wherever humans are around the world. You may not see them or notice them, but their presence is obvious to the trained eye. They can chew through almost anything (including steel pipes), and they can also be hazards to your health. Rats carry a host of diseases and parasites. What to learn how to take care of this pest and get rid of rats from your home? Let us highlight a few ways in which you can achieve this effectively. I will be giving you 4 methods on how to get rid of rats, which I will explain in details.
Get Rid of Rats Humanely
We recommend a humane approach if you have rats in your home and do not want to hire a professional. You can use this method when you don’t want to see these rats suffer or die.
- You start by locating the rodent’s nesting and feeding areas.
- Get a nonlethal wired cage and put it at the entrance of the nesting or feeding area to trap and release the rats since you do not want to kill them.
- Or if you can identify where the rodents are getting into your home, you can put a one way excluder (assuming their food source is not inside your home).
Lethal Ways to Get Rid of Rats
There are several ways you can get rid of rats by killing them and they include:
- Getting a cat: they are natural predators and great hunters. Not all cats are effective, so this may not work all the time. Also the cat must have access to where the rats are like your attic or crawl spaces.
- Snap traps: you need to find their nesting and feeding places and place the traps there. They always leave a trail, just follow the trail.
- Rat poison: once you identified where they are, place the poison there. Be careful because this could lead to getting dead rats in your walls.
- Glue board: while it is not the most humane approach, it is effective. You will likely catch them alive and have to dispose of them.
Preventing a Rat Infestation
The best approach is to never get rats in the first place. Taking preventive measures first will make sure you never deal with this pest. Here are a few ways which you can reduce the chances of getting a rat infestation.
- Make sure you seal all trash properly, dispose of it early and often. Clean up any food and surrounding mess immediately.
- Make sure you seal up all food in the house by keeping everything in closed containers.
- Seal up all cracks and holes in the wall, ceiling, screens, and doors. And make sure all windows and doors are closed at all times. If you do need to open them, make sure there is a screen in place.
- Close any areas surrounding pipes or even small holes that lead into your house with bronze or steel wool.
- Don’t waste your time using any product tagged “rat repellent” they don’t work.
Get Rid of Rats Professionally
If you’re the kind of person who is too busy to take on this project, or you feel you don’t want to deal with rodents all you need do is hire a professional, follow the steps below:
- Contact a local exterminator and request an estimate, you can get this online or by calling them
- Talk or meet with the exterminator and describe your rat problem tin as much detail as you can
- Take note of the types of poisons or chemicals the exterminator might want to use, and make sure it’s not harmful to you, your family, or your pets.
- Make sure the exterminator removes every rat that dies in your house.
- Make sure you compare and contrast methods and price quotes between two or three companies before you make a decision.
- Also, ask about guarantees and warranties.
There are various other means of getting rid of rats in your home, but these methods should work for the majority of the situations. Take your pick and get rid of the rat pest in your home.