Unwanted insects or animals are often very difficult to get rid of, especially if they decided to move in permanently. That applies to any pest that usually finds its way inside if there’s an invitation, and it doesn’t have to involve more than a bit of leftover food on the floor, or dust hiding underneath your bed frame.
In this quick guide, you’ll get 5 easy tips, that will help you prevent getting a pest problem in your home.
Never Leave Leftovers Outside Your Fridge
After a meal you might feel tempted to leave some leftovers on the kitchen countertop, to return later and clean it all up. This is a very bad idea, especially if you’re in an area where ants are present and hungry.
Most food items should always be sealed tightly or put back in the fridge right after use, to avoid uninvited guests in your kitchen. Another useful tip is to always wipe off your kitchen countertops after preparing a meal, just to make sure there aren’t any crumbles or similar left.
Take out Your Trash Daily
Even though you emptied a food container and threw it in your garbage can, you don’t want to leave it overnight. Especially not if it contained any sort of liquids or sugary items, as it might attract several types of insects.
A great idea is to make it a routine to take out the trash every night after doing the dishes, so your garbage can remains empty throughout the night.
Keep Your Floors Spotless
Here’s a great routine you would want to follow:
- Vacuum your floors every day.
- Wash AND vacuum your floors at least once a week.
- Consider buying a robot vacuum, if you’re too busy to vacuum during weekdays.
Keeping your floors clean requires an efficient vacuum cleaner, especially if you have lots of carpets and pets shedding hair throughout the day. You can start your search for a new vacuum on websites like Reviuu.com, but it is always highly recommended to read through user reviews before deciding.
Clear the Clutter
Keeping your home well
Here’s what you should
- Go through one room at a time.
- Mark up 3 areas on a table or on the floor: Keep, sell, and trash.
- Start going through every drawer, cabinet
andbox, to sort everything into the 3 different areas.
- You’ll probably end up with 3 big piles of things. Put back things you want to keep, put up some of the things for sale, and throw out the rest.
Keep Your House Well Maintained
Keeping your house well maintained is
Among other things, this is what you really want to watch out for on a monthly basis (or more frequently, if deemed necessary):
- Check every room, including your garage, for any kind of rat- or mouse droppings regularly.
- Inspect every drain regularly, to make sure all traps are full. Over time they might drain themselves, especially if they aren’t used regularly.
- Check your walls for any indication of mold, which usually forms in humid areas along outer walls, and most likely behind large pieces of furniture.
- Go through all your cabinets, drawers and pantries regularly, to make sure all food packagings remain tightly sealed and haven’t been bitten open.
- Inspect your roof for any damage, especially after any kind of severe weather.
- Inspect your vents, to make sure they are properly secured against pests, by having an intact grid in front of them.
- ALWAYS ask for assistance from a professional pest control company, if you’re in doubt of anything.